Scoliosis is a malady that causes an abnormal arc of the spine or backbone.
Several types of scoliosis manifest, contingent on the cause and the age of the patient when the bend develops, though a majority of patients do not exhibit any consistent cause.
Scoliosis is about two times more common in girls than boys. It can be seen at any age, but it is most common among those aged above 10 years and among adolescents.
Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of the spine. While scoliosis can befall people with conditions like cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy, the cause for such incidence among children is unknown.
Generally, Scoliosis is mild, but some bends worsen as children grow. Severe scoliosis can be disabling. An especially severe spinal bend can reduce the amount of space within the ribcage, making it hard for the lungs to function properly.
Signs and symptoms:
1. Uneven shoulders
2. One shoulder blade that appears more prominent than the other
3. Uneven midriff
4. One hip higher than the other
5. One side of the ribcage jutting forward
6. A prominence on one side of the backbone when bending forward
1. Certain neuromuscular conditions, like cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy.
2. Birth defects affecting the development of the backbone
3. Surgery on the chest wall as a baby
4. Injuries to or infections of the spine
5. Spinal cord abnormalities.
1. Age - in adolescence
2. Sex - Females have a much higher risk of the curve worsening and requiring treatment.
3. Family history
1. Breathing Problems
2. Protracted Back Pain
3. Uneven hips, shoulders, prominent ribs, and a shift of the waist and chest to the side
Diagnosis:Physical examination and imaging through X-rays, CT scans, or MRI
The treatment in modern biomedicine for Scoliosis is Braces & Surgery such as Spinal fusion, Expanding rod or vertebral body tethering with the desired outcome not guaranteed.
However, Ayurvedic treatment eschews invasive surgeries and resultant complications and after-effects. Through the following therapeutic interventions and natural medications, Arth Ayurveda treats Scoliosis with a high degree of success:
1. Panchakarma helps in removal of the toxins and relaxes all the joints of the spine. Abhyanga rejuvenates the body and maintains the physique & pacifies Vata dosha.
2. Ayurveda concentrates on maintaining the normal curvature of the spine while correcting the lateral deviation of the spine
3. Shastika Shali Pinda Sweda , Kukutanda Sweda , Matra Basti and other therapeutic interventions
4. Rasayana Chikitsa- Aja Mamsa Rasayana
Yoga & Exercises:
Pelvic Tilts - Lie on back with knees folded upright, feet flat on the floor, and lift the pelvis up slightly.
Cat-Camel – Breath in, lower your back towards the floor as you lift your head up at the same time, make a downward curve with your spine, hold, and come back to your original position breathing out. Camel: Lower your head, breath-in, arch your spine like a hump, hold, and come back to original position breathing out.
Double-Leg Abdominal Press - Lie on back with knees bent, lift your knees up, pull the knees toward your face with your back flat on the floor
All rights reserved | Design by Arth Ayurveda World